17th Airline Marketing Workshop
Athens International Airport awards airlines for their development in 2016 at the “Lighthouse” of the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center
The 17th Airline Marketing Workshop organized by the Athens International Airport, was dedicated to innovation and the “novel” approach, under the title “Making the … novel way”. More than 200 guests had the opportunity to follow a rich agenda of topics, serving, as every year, as an ideal platform for a substantial dialogue among the airport and its key partners.
Based on an actual novel titled “Lost and Found: An Aθenian Story”, written especially for the Athens International Airport in the framework of the inventive and awarded campaign “Aviation Marketing delivered in a … novel way”, the guest speakers and AIA representatives composed a rich agenda at Athens’ brand-new Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center, including the following topics:
• Athens market overview 2016, including latest technology developments, revamp of airport infrastructure and airport commitment in environmental protection reflected in AIA’s certification for carbon neutrality.
• Round the World: Ms. Effie Panagiotopoulou, Ryanair Media and Advertising Manager / Brand Communications, presented the airline’s business model and innovations
• Colourful Airplanes: Mr. Lee Lik Hsin, CEO of Scoot, the newcomer in the Athens market, presented the airline’s profile and the new route that will connect Athens with Singapore as of June
• A connected world: How to improve airport capacity management through Collaborative Scheduling Decisions, by Professor Konstantinos G. Zografos, Lancaster University Management School
• A row of bizarre coincidences, by the inspirational speaker, Mr. Caspar Berry, on risk taking and decision making
• “Lost and Found: An Aθenian Story”: The prospect of Athens as a city break destination, by Mr. Iossif Parsalis, General Manager, Marketing Greece
• And… more of Athens, with the campaign “One City Never Ending Stories” of the Αthens Tourism Partnership, (a collaboration of Athens Municipality, Aegean Airlines and Athens International Airport) presented by Thanassis Papathanassiou, Vice President & Executive Creative Director, Frank & Fame
Athens International Airport CEO, Yiannis Paraschis, concluded the workshop with the closing credits dedicated to the course that led to the very positive 2016 track record, highlighting the exceptional cooperation and efforts of the entire airport community.
Moreover, as every year, Athens International Airport also presented its annual awards to the airlines that achieved the fastest development and the highest increases in passenger volumes in their scheduled services during 2016.
This year’s airline awards, as per respective category, were the following:
A. Best of the TOP-10 Airlines Award in 2016
- Ryanair was awarded as the overall fastest growing airline operating at AIA in 2016, among the 10 airlines that recorded the highest passenger traffic volumes. In the same category, Emirates was highly commended.
Β. Fastest Growing Airline Award per geographical region (Highest percentage passenger growth, 2016 /2015)
- Ryanair was awarded as the fastest growing airline in the domestic sector.
- Astra Airlines was highly commended.
- Blue Air was awarded as the fastest growing airline for Western Europe while Ryanair was highly commended.
- Aegean Airlines was awarded as the fastest growing airline for Eastern Europe while Ukraine International Airlines was highly commended.
- Aegean Airlines was awarded as the fastest growing airline for the Middle East while El Al Israel Airlines was highly commended.
- Aegean Airlines was awarded as the fastest growing airline for Africa while Egypt Air was highly commended.
C. Fastest Growing Airline - Seasonal Route
- Israir received the award for achieving the highest percentage annual passenger growth in summer 2016, while Croatia Airlines was highly commended.
D. Best New Entrant Performance Award
- Ellinair was awarded for recording the highest passenger traffic numbers, among all new comers
Ε. Fastest Growing Airline - Thin Route Award
- Sky Express received the award for achieving the highest percentage annual passenger growth in 2016, while Royal Jordanian was highly commended.
F. Highest Ranking European Destination
- British Airways received the award for the highest contribution in making London the top European destination out of Athens.
G. Highest Ranking Non-European Destination
- Qatar Airways received the award for the highest contribution in making Doha the top non-European destination out of Athens.
Η. Overall Traffic Development Award
Ryanair was awarded for presenting the highest passenger volumes increase at Athens International Airport in 2016.
- Aegean Airlines was awarded as the favourite airline for 2016 among the European passengers using the Athens International Airport (source: AIA official annual survey).
- Emirates was awarded as the favourite airline for 2016 among the non-European passengers using the Athens International Airport (source: AIA official annual survey).
Special Destination … “Lost and Found” Awards for the re-establishment of routes to / from Athens
- Emirates was awarded for re-establishing the Athens – New York direct route.
- Scoot was awarded for re-establishing the Athens – Singapore direct route.
On the occasion of AIA’s 17th Airline Marketing Workshop, Ioanna Papadopoulou, Director, Communications & Marketing, pointed out:
“It was our utmost pleasure to welcome for another year our airline partners, in Athens International Airport’s 17th Airline Marketing Workshop. It is very important to us that an annual event like our Workshop, keeps fostering the spirit of innovation and novelty. That was indeed the main theme and the true essence of this year’s gathering, which reflects our philosophy as the airport community jointly moves ahead on a common and mutually beneficial course.
This year’s venue, the “Lighthouse” of the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center, made our event a very special experience for us all. We are the first company hosting an event at this brilliant “new destination” of our city. It was indeed an ideal spot for us to present our strategic and targeted actions, aiming at enhancing the connectivity of Athens.
Once more, we would like to sincerely thank our airline partners and re-affirm our commitment to keep supporting them in the same spirit of substantial collaboration.”
PHOTOSPhoto gallery ›